Confined Space Program: Responsibilities
A. Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEH&S)
· Preparing and maintaining a written program which complies with the requirements of applicable Cal-OSHA requirements.
· Providing instruction to Facility Management supervisors on the major elements of the Confined Space Program.
· Working with Facilities Management personnel to identify confined spaces.
· Performing periodic audits of Program implementation.
B. Facilities Management
· Designating personnel as “authorized supervisors, entrants, and attendants” and identifying those personnel who are considered “affected employees”.
· Ensuring that all authorized and affected employees have received proper training on Confined Spaces.
· Incorporating the major elements of the Program into written standard operating procedures pertaining to energized equipment maintenance.
· Identifying and maintaining an inventory of all confined spaces.
C. Department Chairs or Directors
· Ensuring that all confined spaces within their department are included in the Confined Space Program and affected employees are trained.
D. Authorized personnel and affected employees
· Complying with the provisions of the Confined Space Program, as described in this document and in the training sessions they attend.
E. Material Management and Contracts
· Ensuring that all bid specifications involving work in confined spaces contain language requiring the contractor to adhere to the UCSF Confined Space Program.